April 1, 2013
Staff Applications Open
May 1, 2013
Priority Registration Opens
September 1, 2013
Background Guides Posted
October 30, 2013
Priority Registration Deadline
We are pleased to announce that American Airlines is the official air carrier of CIMUN X. Groups and individuals traveling to the conference are eligible for discounted airfare using promo code 65D2BL . If you have any questions regarding travel, please feel free to contact us.
CIMUN Staff Application
Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of the CIMUN X staff. We truly believe that the quality of our staff is our strongest asset, and are always looking for motivated and talented people to join our team. Please thoroughly read through the requirements and position descriptions below and complete the following application. Once submitted, a member of the CIMUN Steering Committee will contact you to arrange an interview (either over the phone or in person).
Who Staffs CIMUN?
One of CIMUN's key strengths is the diversity of our staff. We take great pride in bringing together an unmatched team of dedicated volunteers from a wide range of backgrounds and age groups to provide a truly one-of-a-kind educational experience for our students.
University Students: Unlike many traditional conferences, CIMUN is not affiliated with any college of university, and welcomes staff members regardless of academic affiliation. As of 2013, our staff represents over 50 different colleges and universities from around the world.
Post-Graduates and Professionals: In addition to current students, CIMUN also welcomes staff members who have already completed their undergraduate education. As of our last conference, nearly 50% of our staff members were post-graduates or young professions in a wide range of fields including law, finance, consulting, journalism, international security, and technology.
Obligations of Staff:
- Conference Preparation - All staff members will be required to assist with pre-conference preparations. Specific obligations vary by position (see below for details), and will include preparing background guides, writing delegate memos, simulation development and logistical preparations. Staff members are expected to remain in contact with the Secretariat and their department heads.
- Fall Staff Training in Chicago - Date TBA. If you are outside of the Chicago area, alternative arrangements may be made.
- The Conference - January 22-26, 2014. Staff are required to arrive at the hotel by 12pm the day (Wednesday) before CIMUN to undergo additional training. All staff members are required to be present for the entire conference. You are free to leave once the conference ends on Sunday, but we have arranged with the hotel for staff to say over Sunday night (the 26th). We have found that it is useful (and fun) to be able to relax the night after the conference.
Accommodations and Transportation
While you are at the conference, all accommodations at the conference hotel will be covered by CIMUN, along with a few meals. Transportation funding is available if you are outside of the Chicago area. Please do not hesitate to apply due to travel concerns; we will do our best to ensure arrangements can be made.
University Exams and Other Conflicts
Due to the timing of CIMUN, staff members sometimes encounter date conflicts with their semester exams or other academic commitments. In our experience, professors are more than willing to offer alternate arrangements as long as they are notified in advance, and CIMUN is able to provide personalized letters and other documentation verifying that you will be participating in a volunteer event. Many of our returning staff members are in this position, and have not encountered problems. Quiet space and limited downtime is also available for those looking to study.
If, however, you feel that you will not be comfortable rescheduling these conflicts, please consult your university's academic calendar before applying for staff. Academic commitments are not an excuse for dropping from staff after the attrition deadline. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
- Chair/President/Procedural Officer: The Chair is the executive procedural officer in each committee and is responsible for ensuring smooth committee function and debate. Chairs should have excellent knowledge of the rules of procedure and extensive dais experience.
- Vice-Chair/Vice President/Deputy Procedural Officer: The Vice-Chair will assist the Chair in committee and should also have an in-depth knowledge of the rules of procedure. He/she will take over in committee in the absence of the Chair.
- Political Officer: Political Officers will serve on the dais and have the same rank as the committee Chair. The Political Officer will serve as the representative of the Simulations Department in committee, and is responsible for keeping delegates informed of developments in the Simulation, answering questions, and maintaining communication between Simulations and the committee, often acting as the committee's "political analyst."
- Simulations Officer: Works behind the scenes to craft and coordinate the simulation in multiple committees. Should have a good working knowledge of history, politics and current events. Must have excellent research skills and be able to coordinate multiple simulation events simultaneously.
- International Press Delegation (IPD): The IPD is responsible for producing CIMUN's daily newspaper, "The CIMUN Chronicle." IPD staff members will work with delegate journalists to write and publish stories. Experience with Adobe InDesign or other forms of desktop publishing is helpful, but not required.
- CIMUN News Network (CNN): CIMUN's in-house TV station, CNN produces news broadcasts based on the events of the conference. Experience with video/sound editing, film, or broadcast journalism is ideal.
- Sergeant-at-Arms: The Sergeant-at-Arms is the protocol and communications officer for each committee and is responsible for enforcing the rules and policies of CIMUN. The Sergeant-at-Arms will sit on the dais staff along with the Chair, Vice-Chair and Political Officer, and will ensure the proper conduct and safety of delegates.
- Conference Services: Conference Services Officers will ensure the smooth running of the conference, and are responsible for facilitating communications between committees, making copies, managing computer usage, and assisting delegates and faculty with general questions and concerns.
- Technology: Technology Officers will be responsible for setting up, maintaining and troubleshooting CIMUN's IT resources. They should be extremely knowledgeable in dealing with various types of technology.
Applicants will not apply for a specific position, but rather should indicate which departments they would be interested in working in. Specific placements will be made by the Secretariat based on experience and skills.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our Chief of Staff, Vince Floress, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your interest in staffing CIMUN!